Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What people really think of me

I was covering a class for one of the football coaches yesterday, and the students and I got into a discussion in which I learned exactly what they thought of me. It went something like this:

By the way, these were the students I have in my normal class, so this wasn't all that odd for them to know who I was or for me to know them, but back to the story.

Them: "Miss Pierce, how old are you?"

Me: "How old do you think I am?"

Them: "I think you are 19, cause you don't look any older than that." "No, I think she is 20, are you 20 Miss Pierce?" "20, you have to be kidding, there is no way she is 20, if she is not 19 then she has to be 18." "I think she is probably older that that, so maybe 21, but no older than 22."

Me: "I am not 18, 19, 20, 21, or 22."

Them: "Well how old are you?"

Me (after some argument from them over this somewhat astonishing news): "I'm 26."

One of them: "Well you don't ACT 26!"

Thanks guys.

5 comments:

Linda Stahr said...

consider it a compliment... I think. :)

Patience said...

I think you should tell everyone about the month of July or October wherever you are...

Justin said...

You know, I could have told you that just as easily. All you have to do is ask.

Brittany said...

I have to say, the other day I went to a volleyball game and I was asked once again if I needed the student price or if I was an adult.

Linda Stahr said...

I have a friend who is not yet a senior citizen... when he goes to Goodwill they ALWAYS ask him if he wants the senior discount. After the third time, he quit telling them no, he didn't qualify. Happens when he goes out to eat too... mostly because his hair is no longer its original color, and he usually takes his grandchildren... mind you, this man is in his VERY LATE 30's (as in 30-12 or 13...)
I might be tempted to tell whomever is asking that you're a student - after all, you are constantly learning!!!